Teaching life skills to preschool children means that they are aware of what they should do without prompting from parents. Teaching life skills to preschool children early will help them develop good habits, create daily “practical” opportunities for children to practice better motor skills. This is also a way to teach children the habit of being responsible for themselves and others.
By teaching children how to work on their own will be more independent, thereby confident in themselves. In addition, parents need to be aware that teaching life skills to preschool children means taking action and awareness at the same time. Explaining in detail that is, besides the actions that parents teach, children perform, they need to be aware of why they should do so? And the next similar situations that occur in baby’s life must be self aware and can be done without the push from adults.
For example, at the preschool age, children have started to be taught the skills “Thank you”, “Greetings”, “Sorry” to others. For the first time, parents please guide their children “Thank you”, “Hello”, “Sorry” but don’t forget to explain to your child why he or she must do that? Explain in a gentle, slow way, your baby will certainly learn very quickly.
If the next time she meets someone, she will voluntarily say “Hello” or “Sorry” when she does something wrong without her mother saying “Hello, baby!”, “Sorry, dear”. . Thus, the parent teaching communication skills opening for children have succeeded.
So what basic life skills should a mother teach preschool children?
Below is a list of 25 life skills researched by pediatric educators, in the hope that parents can apply to preschool children.
With these skills, I can teach them at 4 or 7 months of age (toddlers to preschool age) and you will be surprised at what your child learns at this time.
Of course, each child has a different awareness, so there will be different steps to acquire and learn skills, parents need to combine teaching life skills with studying children’s ability to have good practice directions. .
Can you teach your children how to …
1. Take your own cup of water to drink and drink from an opened can: from about 7 months old
2. Self-feeding with a spoon or chopstick: ever since babies start weaning, moms should teach them this skill.
3. Keep a book on hand and turn each page carefully: this skill can be mastered at 9 months of age.
4. Blowing your nose
5. Wash your hands properly: You can start teaching babies at 12 months of age by holding them and letting children rub their hands under the tap.
In this life skill, mothers need to teach their children early on how to distinguish between hot and cold faucets, regulating the flow of water, using hand-washing water, making soap, making foam …
6. Clean personal belongings: starting from about 18 months – 2 years old
7. Brushing teeth: about 18 months – 2 years old
9. Wipe your feet or remove shoes, store shoes before entering the house: from about 18 months to 2 years old. (With this skill, mom can do it a few times so that she can look and remember.
10. Put things in the right position: children can put things in the right position from about 2 years old
11. Hairbrush: from about 2 years old
12. Dress and undress: at least when 2 years old
13. Self-piercing shoes: from about 2 years old
14. Make your own simple food: peeled bananas, peeled peanuts, opened the package of instant noodles … starting from about 2 years old.
15. Store / fold clothes that have been worn: about 2-3 years old.
16. Lock and unlock: from 2 to 3 years old.
17. Grasping pencils or crayons from about 3 years old
18. Clean up toys: from 2-3 years old
19. Clean up some simple things after a meal like paper towels, rice cookers, and garbage: from about 3 years old.
20. Wash some simple items like dishes, chopsticks: from about 3 years old.
21. Prepare your own bed: from about 4 years old.
22. Self-locking clothes: from about 4 years old.