Strawberries, fruits rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are beneficial to our health. They are usually bright red in color, with a characteristic aroma, a succulent taste and a characteristic sweetness. Strawberries are often eaten fresh or made with jams, yogurts, desserts, and salads to add flavor to dishes.
So in particular, what ingredients does this small fruit contain, what nutrients make them so popular, let’s find out!
Strawberries with special nutritional ingredients
In strawberries water makes up 91%, 0.7% protein, 0.3% fat and 7.7% carbohydrate. A glass of strawberries (130g) on average contains less than 50 calories. Some of the prominent nutritional ingredients in strawberries are:
VITAMIN AND MINERALS
Strawberries contain vitamins and minerals such as:
- Folate (B9): ensures cells function normally and are necessary for tissue growth
- Potassium: regulates blood pressure, much related to the necessary functions of the body
- Manganese: trace elements ensure many important functions and appear in beans, cereals, fruits, …
- Small amounts of iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin B6, vitamin K and vitamin E also contribute to bringing many nutrients to our bodies.
VEGETABLE IN THE STRAWBERRY
The antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds in strawberries include:
- Ellagic acid: antioxidants and many health benefits are high in strawberries
- Anthocyanin: makes the color of flowers and fruits, good for heart health
- Procyanidin: often found in the intestines and seeds of strawberries, is a very good oxidant for health
Strawberries contain a lot of water, so the amount of carbohydrate is quite low (12gr / glass of strawberries). It is mainly composed of simple sugars like fructose, glucose, sucrose and fiber. In addition, the glycemic index of strawberries is very low, at only 40. This makes them friendly for diabetics because they do not raise blood sugar.
An important food source of probiotics in the intestinal tract, helping to keep the digestive system healthy. On average, one cup of strawberries provides 3-4 grams of fiber and fiber accounts for 26% of the total carbohydrate content of strawberries.
Benefits of strawberries with our health
Berries are often very good for health, help prevent and reduce the risk of disease. Especially, strawberries have outstanding benefits that help prevent cancer, reduce blood sugar, and improve heart health.
Cancer is a serious disease, its ability to be cured is low due to sudden, uncontrolled growth in cells. Some research results show that berries may help fight oxidative stress and anti-inflammation help prevent certain types of cancer. In addition, strawberries have the ability to inhibit the formation of tumors in human liver cancer cells.
Helps regulate blood sugar
Strawberries have the ability to slow down the digestion of carbohydrates, limiting the spike in insulin and blood sugar levels. Eating strawberries will be helpful in preventing type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Improve cardiovascular disease
One of the most common causes of death is cardiovascular disease. Berries help increase HDL cholesterol, improve platelet function and lower blood pressure. Particularly strawberries can improve the activity status of antioxidants, improve blood lipid status.