Many people go to the gym in the morning because this is the time when exercise will help boost energy, concentration and optimism. So, what should you eat before exercising in the morning to ensure nutrition to achieve the desired training effect?
Risk of not having breakfast before doing gym
Many people often think that going on an empty stomach before exercise will help increase the ability to burn fat, thereby increasing the ability to lose weight. In fact, the effect of weight loss when exercising with vigorous exercise such as gyms on an empty stomach is still controversial.
Not to mention, you can even increase your risk of losing muscle mass and lowering your blood sugar after a night of eating and drinking and exercising. Here are some risks you may face in the morning before going to the gym.
• No energy to exercise: After a night of sleep lasting 6-8 hours, your stomach will be empty. Moreover, the amount of glycogen in your body will be significantly reduced because your brain uses them to maintain activities during sleep.
If you do not eat breakfast will cause severe glycogen deficit, causing energy loss. At this time, you will not be able to lift weights or perform difficult movements or even extend the time for exercise.
• Lose protein: When you exercise when you’re hungry, your body will take protein as fuel. This causes your body to lack protein to build and repair muscles after exercise, causing muscle loss. Moreover, muscles in the morning will not be able to achieve the state of full strength like the afternoon so you need to eat breakfast if you want to strengthen muscle during exercise.
• Reduce blood sugar: Exercising on an empty stomach burns valuable energy and has less stamina. Low blood sugar can also make you feel lightheaded, nauseous, or shaky.
• Store more fat than usual: When you do not eat breakfast, your body will react as if you are hungry and start storing fat to save fuel. This allows your body to store more fat than usual.
Eating habits before going to the gym will help the body increase energy to increase exercise performance, increase muscle and avoid unfortunate injuries.
The rule of eating before doing morning gym
Doing exercise in the morning is often more difficult than doing it in the afternoon because you won’t have much time to prepare. However, no matter how busy the morning is, you need to remember the principle of preparing breakfast before exercising is to choose protein-rich foods to avoid losing muscle. The next rule to keep in mind is to choose foods high in carbohydrates (carbs) to replenish your body’s energy.
The protein source you need to meet 2-3g leucine (acid responsible for building muscle). When you take protein but don’t have leucine, the muscle building effect is not complete.
Typically, 2g of leucine will be in 17g of whey, 21g of milk, 22g of casein, 24g of eggs, 25g of fish, 26g of beef, 26g of pork, 26g of soybeans, and 27g of chicken.
In addition, you should also note the following to achieve effective training:
• Eat just enough: If you eat too little breakfast there is not enough energy to exercise and if you eat too much it will cause heartburn or vomiting during heavy exercise. Moreover, the stomach in the early morning (around 5-6 hours) is very weak, making it difficult for you to absorb all the food you eat. However, you should not eat too late (after 9 am) because it will cause circulatory disorders in the body.
• Eat 30 minutes to 1 hour before training: This time will help you consume less food to feel more comfortable during exercise.
• Ensure nutrition: You should eat breakfast with a variety of nutrients and should eat fresh processed foods. Foods for healthy breakfast are milk, eggs, bread, rice, sticky rice, porridge, oats, pork, chicken, fish, greens, fruits, etc.
• Fat restriction: Fat often takes a long time to digest. Therefore, you should limit fast food, canned foods. These foods often contain unhealthy fats and are bad for health.
• Avoid sugary foods: These foods make your body release more insulin so you are more likely to feel tired and shiver.
Foods to eat before exercising in the morning
What should you eat before doing morning gym? Here are foods you can add to your healthy breakfast.
• Chocolate milk: Chocolate milk is often a refreshing drink after a workout but it is also a good breakfast to digest. This drink helps balance protein and carbs, two nutrients that help your body increase energy and also make the stomach more comfortable.
• Cereal or dried fruit: Before HIIT training, you can eat a handful of dry cereal or dried fruit (about 1/4 cup of water) to provide the amount of carbs needed for the body.
• Yogurt and fruit: Yogurt is rich in protein, carbs and also one of the best sources of calcium for bones. Fruit also contains lots of carbs, so it can quickly metabolize energy for your body.
• Bananas and almonds: Bananas are high in carbs, so they are good for digestion and can provide a lot of energy for the body. In addition, bananas also contain a lot of potassium capable of maintaining the function of neurons and muscles. You should eat 1-2 bananas with a jar of yogurt about 45 minutes before training will help you add potassium. Along with that, you can drink a glass of almond milk to provide the necessary energy when exercising.
• Egg whites or egg whites: Egg whites provide essential protein and help you stay active during exercise and bread will provide you with enough carbs before exercising. You can also eat bread with honey or jam, peanut butter or 1-2 boiled eggs to provide the body with the most abundant protein.
• Beef or chicken pho: These noodles provide a good source of protein for bodybuilders. Besides, these are also easy to digest dishes so suitable to eat before breakfast.
• Oatmeal with low-fat milk: Oats and low-fat milk contain lots of carbs and protein so it can give your body a lot of energy during activity.
In addition to having a breakfast that helps you work out effectively, you also need to pay attention to your circadian clock when you get enough sleep (6-8 hours), eat well and start up more carefully before exercising. . After the morning gym session, you should add water and electrolytes to compensate for the amount of consumption. Do not forget to provide starch, fruit, protein for the body to avoid being deficient in glycogen and protein after training.