Spinal degeneration is one of the bone and joint diseases that many people suffer from. It is very dangerous if not treated early. So can spinal degeneration be cured?
What is spinal degeneration?
It is a disease when the intervertebral discs and joints degenerate and the bones grow on the spine. These changes cause pain, limiting movement caused by the affected nerve.
The location of lumbar spondylosis usually occurs in L4 and L5 segments (2 out of 5 lumbar vertebrae) as this is a place where there is a lot of pressure and heavy effects from the body.
Thoracic spine affects the middle part of the spine.
Lumbar spinal degeneration affects the lower back.
The prongs of the protruding joints (Multilevel spondylosis) affect many parts of the spine.
The impact of spinal degeneration varies between individuals, but they usually do not cause serious problems.
The main causes of degenerative spondylosis include:
- Age: advanced age causes the aging process to increase, so the back vertebrae is also greatly affected.
- Occupation: for those who work too long in the same position, doing heavy work, long lifting, will put great pressure on the lumbar region affecting the spine.
- Patients with a history of spinal cord injury, spinal surgery, muscle weakness, or genetics.
Because cartilage and intervertebral discs are impacted for many years, leading to loss of elasticity, sclerosing ligaments cause degenerative vertebra.
- Unreasonable diet.
Symptoms of degenerative vertebrae
The common symptom is stiffness and minor pain that gets worse after not moving or limiting movement for a long time like sitting too much.
More serious symptoms include:
- Weak legs
- Poor hand-foot coordination
- Muscle spasms and pain
- Unbalance and difficulty walking
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
After the research and release, currently there are many ways to treat lumbar degeneration, such as taking medicine, using needles, magnets, acupuncture, physiotherapy and stretching the spine.
However, the use of the drug is not very satisfactory, so when you have this disease, you should see your doctor in detail to find yourself safe and definitive treatment to stop the dull pain.